Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Has Gone to the Dogs!


If you ever want to have a blast with some of your friends who love dogs, try inviting Santa to come by and offer to take pictures of Santa with their dogs.

A few friends suggested doing this as a way for us to meet some of our neighbors. At first I was a bit resistent, but after seeing a steady stream of neighbors shuffle in for their picture I was sold on the idea. We had a blast sharing our dog stories and talking about our love for animals. It was great to meet some new people, and I was amazed at how quickly our animals become part of our families. One lady came by with two dogs and a bird, and we all laughed as Santa sat patiently with the two dogs on his lap and the bird sitting on his head. Luckily, the bird had taken care of his business before coming inside, although that would have definately enhanced the picture.

As I was reflecting on this spectacle, I was reminded of the joy of the season. I am so prone to take everything so seriously, and in my seriousness, I forget to stop and smell the roses. I forget to take the time and ask my neighbors what is important to them. I forget to slow down my busy schedule long enough to sit with my daughter to take a picture with our two little Westies. I forget that this season, that this year, that this life is quickly passing us by. It seems that each year passes more quickly. My kids are growing up, my knees are beginning to hurt when I run, and I need glasses to read...each a small reminder that I am not getting any younger.

With all of that said, I am committed to make people a priority. I want to remember every moment with my kids. I want to take the time to go on dates with Lisa again. I want to spend time with God and reflect on his goodness and blessings in my life. I want to be able to drink in every moment of this Christmas season with my family. Ultimately, I desire more of the important things in life, knowing that it is my own fault that I spend so much time on the insignificant! If Christmas had not gone to the dogs, I may not have taken the time to notice.

1 comment:

Jim Huster said...

Dude,

For being Lexdisic, you are a great writer. You and Tim Tebow are my heros. For Real!

Living the dream!
Jim